Monday 16 September 2013

Cells ...


  1. As a result of becoming VERY inspired with this topic, I've decided to start Project: Cell. I'm not sure which direction it will take or where it will lead, but think that to isolate it at this stage may be beneficial.
  2. Carrying on from the other day, I've been looking at cells on the Internet & am finding them very enthusing & inspirational. Not so much for the imagery but more along the lines of interpretation as I find I'm immediately transposing them into stitching, fabric or textiles. Also, in looking back over many of my initial designs (both here & in my actual sketch books) - the ones I prefer are those that in some way could be termed as types of "cell structures". I like the way in which together, cells form a particular 'final shape' - not appearing to link to the individual cell shapes.
  3. I'm also finding the on-line cell structure patterns are providing me with a sense of 3D interpretation while I look at them - in effect they appear to almost 'move'. Having not opted for any sciences at school, this aspect is interesting me sufficiently to now put pen, paint & ink to paper - an initial start (in Photoshop) can be seen here. Whilst I've been looking on-line, many ideas are now presenting themselves regarding how I can work some of my initial designs. One in particular (a blog entry) now becoming visible to me as (sections) worked in a variety of laces & bubble plastic.
  4. It's also of interest to me (while researching a specific insect), to find that a part of it has legs that carry crochets! Not sure where this will end up but am very enthusiastic with this imagery - more so than for some time.
  5. Although not in the studio today, I can't wait to get started on this line of thought - it seems to provide me with a specific 'tool' to use!



2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...